Happy Friday y'all!
This issue comes with a set of brilliant answers to questions we put to three Chinese-Spanish translators, as a continuation of our previous collab with their respective translator collectives. See those answers here. We hope to have more collaboration with Chinese translators and publishers into more languages besides Chinese, so if you fall into one of those categories, feel free to get in touch.
First, let me direct your attention to the great events there are coming up, which for the first time in a long time are all in person. So Londoners and Copenhageners, get to booking.
Oh, and remember news of Han Song's new novel Hospital, coming out from Amazon Crossing (read our chat with acquiring editor Gabriella Page-Fort here? We've got a look at the striking cover, check it out!
Extracts, stories and poems:
- Read "Interweaving" by Xiaowen Zhu, tr. Jack Hargreaves
- Chris Song's translation of the poem, 上海人的忍耐還遠遠沒有到極限, by web user Micha Erlou
- Listen to Jack Hargreaves read from Chen Chuncheng's "Submarines in the Night"
- Translator and writer Yilin Wang on "Faded Poems and Intimate Connections"
- Five poems from Pee Poems by Lao Yang, tr. Joshua Edwards & Lynn Xu
- Five poems by Li Xiaoyang (pen name Cong An), tr. Stella Jiayue Zhu
- A new Zhu Yue micro-story tr. Jianan Qian & Alyssa Asquith
- Surveying from Mount Dongliang a Yang Jian poem, tr. Fiona Sze-Lorrain
- Peter Hessler in the New Yorker, "A Teacher in China Learns the Limits of Free Expression"
- The opening paragraph from Wong Koi Tet’s “Turtle Fever” 《鳖瘟》 tr. Shawn Hoo
- The Nuosu Book of Origins, an ancient epic of Yi minority verse and wisdom, tr. Mark Bender and the poet Aku Wuwu, is available open access
- Introducing: The Chaoyang Review of Books -- open for submissions!
- Copenhagen-based readers： "Unknown Futures: A Seminar on Hong Kong", May 23-24
- See James Tookey in conversation with Xiaolu Guo at China Exchange UK, "The ever changing landscape of Contemporary Chinese Literature"
- Oxford Translation Day on June 10-11, w/Emily Jones speaking at "Publishing Translation: A Panel Discussion"
Reviews and releases:
- A review of Fu Mu 浮木 (Driftwood) by Yang Benfen 杨本芬
- Compare the free verse poetry of Wang Yin and Yu Xiuhua
- The Backstreets: A Novel from Xinjiang by Perhat Tursun, tr. Darren Byler & Anonymous, out later this year
- New Voices in Chinese Science Fiction out now! An anthology of stories edited by Neil Clarke, Xia Jia and Regina Kanyu Wang
- Check out Louisa Lim's dedication for their new book about Hong Kong, Indelible City
- A review of Shuang Xuetao's Rouge Street, tr. Jeremy Tiang, with another mention here -- "As gritty as it is hopeful..."
- Liu Xinwu’s The Wedding Party tr. Jeremy Tiang rated one of the 4 most incredible Chinese novels in English
- News of a new Zhang Ling novel, Aftershock, tr. Shelly Bryant
- Here is a fantastic pack of resources for translators, put together by the NL to EN translator, David McKay. Thank you, David!
- "Literary Translation - Match or Mismatch?" a video on literary translation by Tender Leaves Translation
- A podcast with Karen Cheung, author of The Impossible City: A Hong Kong Memoir
- Nicky Harman interviews translators Natascha Bruce and Jack Hargreaves on the translation groups/workshops they are in
- Chen Qiufan on "How Chinese Science Fiction Imagines Our Future", a video
- A new episode of Sinophone Realities, Daoist Gaming Fantasy and Danmei Romances with Zhange Ni