Paper Republic has moved into a new era. Our mission is to promote Chinese literature in English translation, focussing on new writing from contemporary Chinese writers, and we recently registered as a charity in the UK, registration number 1182259. New era, new ambitions. We're growing, and we need new people to join our non-profit management team.
In particular, the wonderful Dave Haysom, who helped us develop the Paper Republic platform, is having to step back to focus on his job. Right now, we need someone with an interest in the social media side of things, and someone with an interest in running projects.
- Are you interested in Chinese literature in translation? You don't have to be a translator, though it will help if you've done a bit.
- Do you know about (or are you willing to learn about) creating posts or Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and our website? And can you come up with new ideas? Our marketing and social media profile is key to getting more people reading more Chinese literature in translation.
- Are you interested in managing a project? Apart from maintenance of the website, Paper Republic is a project-based organization. Everyone on the management team is responsible for taking the lead on a project at some point.
- Are you comfortable with technology? We exist mostly online, and are located around the world. That means that most of what we do is done through internet communications. Everyone does a bit of website data entry, as well!
- Are you willing to join management meetings via Slack. These can be at ungodly hours (our other team members are scattered in China, the west coast of America and the UK). Meetings are every two to three weeks for about an hour. Other business gets discussed by email.
- Are you willing to volunteer your services? Our management team consists of five volunteers. You would be the sixth or seventh member of our team. The management work is unpaid, although we always aim to pay translators and editors. It doesn’t matter where you live, so long as your time zone means you can join our Slack meetings.
What will you get out of it?
- You’ll be giving something back, to Chinese literature and the wider Chinese translation community
- You’ll be working on a website that has an international reputation (the London Book Fair judges in 2016 called us the go-to place for Chinese translations and translators)
- For more than ten years, Paper Republic has shaped people’s views of Chinese literature in translation all over the word.
- You’ll be joining a community of translators, and you’ll learn professional skills (and we hope we’ll learn from you).
If you're interested, please drop us a note (and a CV) via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
guess I forgot about CV... will resend shortly. Regards - s.ye
Susan Ye, March 17, 2020, 12:43p.m.