China's Cultural Revolution and its aftermath in fiction and memoir
By Helen Wang, published
This list of 79 books is from goodreads.com, and was created by someone called Hannah on 1 August. It's not always on target, but gives an idea of which books general readers are recommending to others, the average rating for each book and the number of ratings it has received.
Here are the Top Ten on the list...
(1) Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China, by Jung Chang, 4.18 avg rating — 20,045 ratings
(2) Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, by Dai Sijie, 3.54 avg rating — 19,857 ratings
(3) Life and Death in Shanghai, by Nien Cheng, 4.31 avg rating — 3,255 ratings
(4) Twilight in the Forbidden City, by Reginald Fleming Johnston, 3.96 avg rating — 26 ratings
(5) Red-Color News Soldier, by Li Zhensheng, 4.30 avg rating — 23 ratings
(6) White Snake and Other Stories, by Geling Yan, 4.24 avg rating — 25 ratings
(6) Sons, by Pearl S. Buck, 3.75 avg rating — 1,043 ratings
(8) Mr. China's Son: A Villager's Life, by Liyi He, 4.21 avg rating — 29 ratings
(8) A House Divided, by Pearl S. Buck, 3.79 avg rating — 843 ratings
(10) To the Edge of the Sky: A Story of Love, Betrayal, Suffering, and the Strength of Human Courage, by Anhua Gao, 4.14 avg rating — 86 ratings